Thursday, January 6, 2011

A New Year, A Fresh Start

Hi All! I hope this post finds you all doing well. I finally feel like I have recovered from the craziness of the holdiay season. Work was crazy, home was crazy, and I was feeling a little stressed (as you could probably guess from my lack of posting). I love Christmas time, but this year I was ready for it to be over!

I am not one to make New Year's resolutions. I figure, if something is worth doing, why wait until the new year to decide that you are going to do it? I am very much a do it now person. I do however, look at the new year as an opportunity for a fresh start. Not with anything major of course, just with some things in my everyday life. I am going at this year with a goal to pare down the "junk" in my life. It feels like I am constantly surrounded by stuff and I have finally decided, it's okay to have an empty shelf or an empty corner of my home. Before I have always felt like, if a space was there, I needed to fill it with something. My home feels more relaxed and organized when I have some open spaces, like I actually have a place that I can just stop and breath!

I left my Christmas decor up until New Year's day this year. Normally, I get very sad to take it all down and put it away because that is when my house feels the coziest and most inviting, but this year, it got to the point where it just felt like clutter. So most of my Saturday was spent taking everything down and putting it away in an organized manner. As opposed to shoving everything in totes like I normally do! :) I ended up with I think 8 totes full of decorations. :S My husband thinks that is a little ridiculous, but oh well, what does he know anyway!

After all of the decorations were down it was time to clean, clean, clean! The entire upstairs was dusted and vacuumed Saturday, which I hadn't done in a while. Longer than I care to admit really. Nick spent the day putting our kitchen cabinet doors back on (I can't wait to show you guys our kitchen progress, but I think I may wait until it is all done!) It was amazing how much cleaner our house looked with the doors back on!

Sunday, Nick and I spent the day doing some shopping in Des Moines. We found a new sink for the kitchen that I love and can't wait to get in there! We very rarely go shopping together, so it was fun to get a way and do something different. I also got a new laptop! Not a necessity, but my old one was about to make me crazy, it was painfully slow!

Monday it was time to start the organizing process in our house! I had the day off for my New Year's holiday, so I was able to spend the entire day getting things done. I of course had laundry to do, and the bathroom was spotless by the time I got done in there, but my main goal for the day was tackling my disastrous craft room/office. I will let the pictures speak for themselves...

The Before:







And, the after:







Ah, much better! The good news? It still looks like that! Woo-hoo, 3 days and counting!

I actually do have a few more things to show you, projects, our deck, and various other things, I just need to make time to post!

Do you have any "goals" for the fresh new start?

No comments:

Post a Comment