Friday, September 3, 2010

Food Friday: Chicken Strip Wrap with Sweet Mustard

I saw Sandra Lee make this on her Food Network show, Money Saving Meals. They sounded really good! I think this is actually the first recipe I have made that I have seen on the Food Network. I have made this a few times, including Wednesday night, which made me realize, I hadn't shared it with you yet!

Sorry there is no picture, I can't find one on the Food Network website and I haven't taken a picture when I have made them. Someday I will learn that bloggers ALWAYS take pictures of something they plan to blog about!

Chicken Strip Wrap with Sweet Mustard
1 (5 to 6 pound) fryer chicken (I use about 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
Salt and Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup panko bread crumbs (I can't find these, so I use corn flake crumbs. I used regular bread crumbs the first time and they weren't very crispy)
4 whole-wheat flour tortillas
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
1/4 head iceburg lettuce, shredded
1 pickle, diced
For the Sweet Mustard:
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Remove the legs, thighs and wings. These pieces will not be used in this recipe, so save them for something else. Remove the chicken breasts from the bone and discard the skin. Cut each breast into 10 strips. (I only get about 3 or 4 strips from the chicken breasts that I use).

Whisk the egg and 2 tablespoons water in a bowl and set aside. Mix flour, poultry seasoning, and salt and pepper, to taste, in a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken strips and toss to coat, set aside. Put the bread crumbs in a shallow dish or pie plate. Remove the chicken from the bag and shake off the excess flour. Coat the chicken in the egg, then dredge in the bread crumbs. Arrange the strips in a single layer, on a baking sheet, allowing space in between each strip.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until chicken is golden brown and cooked through.

For the Sweet Mustard Sauce:
In a small bowl, combine the mustard, mayonnaise, and the brown sugar. Mix until sugar dissolves completely.

Warm the tortillas in a microwave for 30 seconds to make them pliable. Lay a tortilla flat onto a work surface. Place about 5 chicken strips onto the tortilla. Drizzle with the sweet mustard sauce and top with cheese, lettuce, and pickle. Roll up the tortilla and put on a serving platter. Repeat with remaining ingredients and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment