Saturday, September 11, 2010

I'm A Terrible Liar

Hey all! Happy Saturday to you! What a beautiful day we are having, perfect weather for the big Iowa-Iowa State Showdown, go Hawks!

You probably wonder where the title to this post came from? Well let me share a little story with you that will make it all perfectly clear! About a month ago, Nick and I were driving to Des Moines to do some shopping. On the way I was flipping thru a Silpada catalog and I said "Honey, I found my birthday present". It was a simple, but very pretty, silver watch. He says something like oh yeah or oh thtat's nice, not seeming interested at all. Normally we don't do much for gifts for birthdays or holidays because when we want something we just go buy it. So I totally forgot about this watch, I mean I didn't forget, but I never thought he would actually get it anyway. I've come to the realization in our short, just over 3 year marriage, that my husband rarely pays attention to the things I say. I mean, I think he comprehends them when I say them, for the most part, but if I ask him the next day about something that we talked about, he acts like I had never said a word about it. Plus, he was driving! Anyone that knows Nick, knows that he cannot multi-task, so for me to think he would pay enough attention to what I pointed out to actually remember it, while he was driving? Who was I kidding? So imagine my surprise when I get home from work yesterday, go to the mailbox to find this package. It is addressed to Nick. From Silpada. Are you kidding me????? He actually remembered and planned ahead enough to order it and get it shipped, before my birthday was even here? Who stole my husband?! So I immediately feel so bad that I have seen this package. I walk halfway up the driveway and decide to take all of the mail and put it back in the mailbox. I was going to pretend when he gave it to me on my birthday that I had never seen it!

I was at a bridal shower when Nick got home from work last night. When I get home later on he says, so did you get the mail today. This is where my awesome lying skills come into play. No!! He smiles, why not? Because it was raining when I got home. Now did I really think he was going to believe that? I LOVE getting the mail. That is the first thing I do when I get home at night. He cracks up laughing as do I. I was totally busted. Damn, I was going to just act so surprised when you gave it to me! He knew my scheme from the second he opened the mailbox and saw the mail still in there!

So thank you Honey! Thank you for paying attention and being thoughtful enough to put in the effort of contacting Hannah, ordering my gift, in time I might add, and calling me out on my lie. You know me too well and I love you for that! :)

Have a great Saturday everyone! I am going to spend my day working on some cards while I watch the Hawks kick some Cyclone butt!

No comments:

Post a Comment