Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Oh How I LOVE 3 Day Weekends!

Can I just tell you how very excited I am to have THREE 3-day weekends in a row?! That's right, three of them. Obviously last weekend was a three day weekend because of the Labor Day holiday on Monday! Did you do anything fun over your long weekend? Normally I would tell you that we went boating, but I have a little secret to tell you...some of you may already know. We SOLD our boat!! Can you even believe it? For those of you that know us well, know that boating is our favorite pastime and my husbands second true love. Our boat was practically our child! Well we have decided to take a boating break for the time being. Let me tell you, I even surprised myself when there were more than a couple of tears in my eyes as I watched it drive away behind something other than my black F150. But, then I looked at our bank account a couple of days later and there was a pretty huge smile on my face when I saw that loan balance and it was a big, fat 0!!

So, now that I have shared that earth shattering news with you I will fill you in on the excitement of our weekend! All in all it was very relaxing and enjoyable. I spent darn near the entire day on Saturday sewing a purse (more on that in a bit). Sunday was just going to be spent cleaning the house and doing those things that I didn't do on Saturday, but I had to take a little break from that. My cousin and his wife welcomed their second baby on Saturday afternoon and my mom and I just HAD to go see her. I wish I had a picture to show you because she is absolutely beautiful. I mean pretty much a perfect baby. Her name is Layla Marie, isn't that a lovely name?! Then I spent the rest of the day doing my housework. Monday we headed to Chariton for part of the day for a late lunch to celebrate my dad's 53rd birthday! Happy belated birthday Dad!

When we got home on Monday I decided to do a quick fall craft. I ran to the Dollar Tree and gathered my supplies. I found this idea at one of the many blogs I read, unfortunately I just can't remember which one! You will need the following supplies: a glass cylinder vase, a glass candle stick, a narrow glass candle that will fit in the vase, artificial leaves in fall colors, and E6000 glue. This project is so simple and pretty much self explanatory. You just glue the candlestick to the bottom of the vase, stick the candle in, and drop some leaves in! I can't wait to see it with some evergreen for winter!



This week is going super fast since it is a short one! Tomorrow night is another Stampin' night at Susie's, so that will be fun. Friday night I have a bridal shower to go to for my soon-to-be sister-in-law! Then, it is time for another three day weekend! Why, you may ask?! Because Monday is my birthday and my mom and I decided to take the day off to go shopping in Des Moines all day!! I am so excited! I need some new clothes and I can't wait to see what they have out for fall. There will definitely be a couple of craft store visits during the day as well! Then I have three days of work and yet another three day weekend! I am taking Friday off to have a garage sale with a good friend of mine! I don't have a lot of faith in selling all of my junk, but it will be fun to just spend some time with her and have a day off of course.

A very busy September so far and many more things to come so I think the month will be over before we know it!

I am sure you are dying to hear more about the purse that I made huh? For some reason last week I just decided that I really wanted to try making my own purse. I headed to Wal-Mart and found a pattern for one that I liked and purchsed my fabric. I have never used a pattern to sew anything, so let's just say I was a little bit overwhelmed when I opened up the instructions! I decided that there was surely an easier pattern out there for a beginner like me, so I headed to Etsy. I found a great pattern from a vendor called June and July. They emailed me the pattern and instructions within 24 hours to get started! This pattern was much easier to follow!!

I won't go into great detail today about actually sewing this purse, but I will tell you that it was a bit of a challenge. I had to undo my stitches on the top of the purse a couple of times because I was confused and messed it up! The purse turned out great, but I would change a couple of things next time. I think I will use a heavier fabric and a heavier interfacing next time so the purse has a little more body and stability to it.



Well, I am off to get more stuff together for the garage sale. Have a great evening!

1 comment:

  1. Love the purse! I have just started to get into the sewing thing too - nothing that complicated yet but you're inspiring me to give it a go :).

    ReplyDelete