Monday, May 10, 2010

New Life to An Ugly (But Free!) Basket

I have found so many cute blogs the last week or so all about thrifty crafts and decor (several of them I have added to my "Blogs I Visit" in the right column) that have really inspired me! The common theme on pretty much all of these blogs is that if something is cheap (or free!) that has some character to it, but maybe ugly how it is, paint it!! You can really paint pretty much anything!

After spending hours last week reading some of these blogs, I really wanted to do some thrifty decorating. I started wandering around my basement (since that is where things go that I don't know what to do with, but can't get rid of) and found a very ugly basket. I won this basket a few months ago at a chamber lunch and I love the shape and style of the basket, but the colors are just awful! Have a little look for yourself:



Nasty huh?!

What would these thrifty ladies on all of these fabulous blogs do?? Spray paint it!! So I bought some brown spray paint and got to work. It took me about 4 coats to get it pretty much covered. A little tip for those of you that may decide to paint a wicker basket, you will have to flip the basket upside down as well since you will not get the bottom sides of the little pieces from just the top! Fortunately I figured that out before I was all excited to start using it!

I always keep a couple of blankets in our living room, but have never had a place to put them, so I've always just thrown them in the corner. Well, not anymore!!!



Not too shabby huh?! I love it, it looks a thousand times better than it did before! All in all a pretty cheap project! The basket was free and I only spend a little of $3 on the can of spray paint (and I still have some left!) I think these thrifty ladies would be proud!

I can't wait to show you a few wonderful things I found when I scoured our local Goodwill today on my lunch break!! You will just have to wait for that...maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow!

Hope you all had a great weekend and a great Monday! Hopefully this rain and dreariness and COLD goes away soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment