Thursday, May 6, 2010

A 5k and Iced Coffee

Any of you that know me very well know that I am NOT a runner!! I keep trying to fool myself into thinking I am by running on the treadmill at least 4 times a week, but that does not make me a runner! Well, with all that being said, I ran my first
5k last night!! Nick and I both ran the Klompen Classic in Pella! It was the first 5k for both of us and we had so much fun! Of course we didn't run together, but individually we both really had a good time. I had two goals going into the race: run the entire thing - no walking and run it in under thirty minutes. The first one I definitely accomplished! I cranked my iPod up and forced myself to keep running. I will say this, running outside is much harder than running on a treadmill!! I knew this going in, but it was definitely confirmed during the run! My second goal...well it's debatable if it was accomplished or not. I say it was! Here's the deal, they gave us little chips to attach to our shoes that would give us our time when we crossed the finish line. The problem was, they didn't have a timer thing at the start line, so the time started as soon as they said "Go!" I was behind quite a few people and just like when a light turns green, we couldn't just start running immediately, we had to wait for those in front of us. So by the time we actually started moving and I crossed the start line, it was a good amount of time. My slip that printed when I finished said my time was 30:43, see why I argue?!?! Oh well!!! I am okay with 30 minutes or 30:43! There were over 2,000 participants overall and I finished 735th out of everyone and 296th out of all the females (I'm not sure how many there were total), so I was pretty happy with that!

I really did enjoy this race and could see myself running more 5k's and possibly 10k's, but I don't think I would ever have to desire to train for and run a half or full marathon. I just don't enjoy running that much!

On a separate note, I have to share a recipe with you that I have fallen in love with. It is called a Mason Jar Frappuccino that I found on the Tasty Kitchen blog. It is so good!! We obviously don't have Starbucks in our lovely little town and Smokey Row just does not make good iced coffee, so I have to make my own. This is quick and easy and much cheaper than Starbucks anyway! Enjoy!

I hope to be back later tonight with some cards that I have made!!

No comments:

Post a Comment